A Comprehensive Guide to Cord Tissue Banking

Cord tissue refers to the tissue of the umbilical cord, which is an excellent source of valuable stem cells. The tissue found in the umbilical cord of a baby is abundant in mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs), which are quite different from the type of stem cells that can be found in the baby’s cord blood. These MSCs possess a unique ability of rapidly dividing, regenerating and differentiating themselves into various cell types. Research indicates that these powerful cells have shown a lot of potential for conditions that affect muscle, cartilage and nerve cells.

There are several reasons why more and more families are opting for cord tissue banking and some of them include:

  • Treatment potential

These cells can provide more treatment options and have a lot of healing potential, which is an excellent reason to consider cord tissue banking. Some of the potential treatment areas include autism, Parkinson’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis, lung cancer, Alzheimer’s, Type I diabetes and sports injuries.

  • Compatibility

The baby’s cord tissue stem cells can be beneficial for immediate biological family members. Parents have a 100% likelihood of being compatible, siblings have a 75% likelihood and there is a 25% likelihood that grandparents will be compatible.

If you are concerned about the process of cord tissue banking, you don’t need to worry. It is a painless and safe method that will not have any impact on your birth plan. Mothers don’t need to be concerned about not having proper bonding time with their baby. After the baby is born, a medical professional clamps and cuts the umbilical cord. The blood is collected from the cord until only tissue is left, which is then placed in a protective and sterile storage cup. This is all that needs to be done and the cord tissues will be kept safe in case your baby requires them in the future.